Monday, February 5, 2007

The Vixen and the Lioness-Aesop

In order to understand this fable, I had to do some research on this particular fable. Because at first, this made no sense to me. I also read the conflict section in the reading after the fable. I believe this fable is soley talking about the mora valuel of QUALITY VS.QUANTITY. Like I said, at first this made no sense to me, and I thought it was just saying that the lion can raise one cub better than many. But Aesop is known for his deep moral values in his writing, so I scratched that one out. The vixen sneers at the lioness, taunting her about her having only one cub. In that part, she is negatively commenting on the lioness and her one cub. And then the lioness replies with only "yes, only one" which is a reply to the vixens negative comment. She is proud to carry only one, which then she replies "but a lion". To me, she (the lioness) knows her one cub will be a strong true lion. The vixen stands for "small minded people confused with quanity vs. quality" (pg.92) I Agree with the authors statement. All of aesops writing are amazing to me, and I admire them very much so because I can apply all the values to my life. I appreciate this one very much as well because I used to always believe quantity was better then quality. Reading this fable also lead me to read more of Aesops writings online because they have such deep and valuable meaning! =)


No comments: